SO RIT finally decided to get off their asses and do something decent for once. I am shocked.
Edit: I will elaborate. 2 years ago I took a random history class. What I failed to realize at that time was that I was taking 18-19 credits and that was way too much. Especially as a learning disabled student. So at the last minute I realize that I probably should have dropped that course since a) I hated it and b) it was the hardest one out of all of them. I was able to convince my professor to give me an "I" out of pity and I tried to make up the work. Unfortunately when I calculated what I would need to get on the essays, I realized I couldn't do with all my other work. To complete ONE essay, you had to read a 450 page book and write 12 pages on it. So I decided to let the "I" roll 2 quarters and just take it over again so I could start fresh. However what I didn't know was that this was a history class that isn't offered every year. So for the past 2 years I've been in limbo, trying to figure out what to do. I met with the present dean at the time a countless amount of times, but he was so stubborn and would not help me at all. He tried to get me to drop the issue saying it didn't matter and that perhaps reading wasn't my thing. I've never felt so insulted in my life. Anyone who knows me knows I read 500 page books for fun. So for him to say that was an insult to my intelligence. I've always been a smart kid. All honors in high school as well as getting into National Honor Society. It just took me longer to get used to RIT. Anyways, a new dean replaced the old one this month and I went into the office yesterday pretty much prepared to battle it out. But after I had told him my story, he immediately said it was unfair that my issue had gone unresolved for so long and that he would do everything in his power to help me. And sure enough an hour later, I got an email with possible courses I could take as a replacement for the grade. I really can't believe my luck. I thought I'd be stuck arguing until the very day I graduated.

2 comments:
What an amazing blog post. Thanks for really delving into all the details you could.
what was it? what was it???!?!
Post a Comment